Using milk of magnesia (MOM) for pores has been getting some attention and a lot of people are searching for answers.
MY TAKE: Milk of magnesia can probably have some short term pore shrinking properties, but long term there are much better solutions.
Milk of magnesia would likely dry out your skin and give it that tight feeling, like most astringents do (such as Witch Hazel and rubbing alcohol), but there is no evidence that it actually shrinks pores.
It might make them temporarily look smaller by drying out the skin, but if you stop using it they’ll look larger again because the skin will be dry and flaky – hardly a great look!
There are some good pore minimizing products on the market such as Murad Pore Reform , which uses Salicylic Acid to slough off dead cells from the surface of the skin while tightening pores at the same time. Your best bet though is to keep your sking hydrated and healthy, by drinking lots of water and using a good moisturiser .
Exfoliating 2 – 3 times a week or masking also helps to keep pores clear. There are great exfoliation products such as Alpha-H Clear Skin Daily Clearing Tonic , which has Salicylic Acid to prevent dead cells from blocking the pores and causing spots.
Benefits of Milk of Magnesia
Ever thought of pore cleansing with a product so natural and harmless that it might have been eaten in the first place? Let me introduce you to a ‘milk’ which is not only one thousand times more acidic than lemon juice, but also helps shrink pores by around 30% when used for about a month.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen I’m talking about milk of magnesia (MOM). A favorite home remedy among women in India, MOM has helped solve my own skincare problems time and again! Although being sold as an antacid for treating heartburn & indigestion, many people have realized its beneficial effects on skin pores, giving them a clearer complexion.
What Is Milk Of Magnesia?
Milk of magnesia or MOM is a suspension of magnesium hydroxide in water. It has an incredibly high pH value which makes it one thousand times more acidic than lemon juice. Its chelating property helps remove dirt, oil and other micro-particles that lodge themselves in the pores over time due to pollution & sebum (skin’s natural oil). It also shrinks these enlarged oil glands when used regularly.
Magnesium acts as a detox for your skin; while the presence of calcium makes it emollient, increasing its moisturizing properties tenfold! Not only is it non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores), but also contains ingredients like proteins, phospholipids & glycerin which help feed the skin.
How To Use Milk Of Magnesia For Pores?
Here are some easy ways to use MOM for pores…
1) Mix equal parts of MOM & water in a spray bottle, shake vigorously and wipe over face with cotton ball daily. It helps reduce excess oil secretion from your skin, leading to less clogged pores. You can also use it as an astringent after cleansing .
2) While using any mud or clay-based mask , mix about 1 teaspoon of MOM in it & apply on face for 10 minutes. This will help remove dead skin cells, open up clogged pores and tighten enlarged skin pores. Remember that DO NOT rinse this off with water! Just pat dry and move on to moisturizing .
3) Mix 2-3 teaspoons of MOM with half a teaspoon of water, apply this as a mask for about 10 minutes and rinse off. This exfoliates the skin like no other product can, helps unclog pores and remove excess dirt or oil! You will see an improvement in your skins texture immediately after washing it off; which is not only due to softening of dead cells but also shrinking enlarged pores by about 30%.
4) Swish some MOM in your mouth before brushing. It has toothpaste like qualities which help prevent plaque formation when swallowed & does double duty when applied over face by tightening enlarged pores & removing excess dirt & toxins the skin. Remember that although it has a high pH value, it is non-irritating and safe for daily use unlike lemon juice.
Also Check: 5 Homemade Skin Lightening Scrubs That Will Make Your Skin Glow In No Time
5) You can also apply MOM as a face toner with a cotton ball after cleansing the skin. It not only tightens enlarged pores but also keeps enlarged oil glands under control which is why many women in India swear against this “wonder product”!
Granted that there isn’t much scientific data available to back up these claims but I have been using milk of magnesia on my skin since I was 16 & have never looked back!
Here’s the list of ingredients you will find in MOM…
Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate
The first two ingredients are responsible for its purifying & detoxifying properties while the third has moisturizing qualities.