Elon Musk is recruiting a team to make a rival to OpenAI’s ChatGPT
In Today’s Edition:
- Elon Musk if fighting ‘woke’ AI
- I find out what *you* think about Elon Musk
- Snapchat launches “My AI”
Fighting ‘Woke AI,’ Musk Recruits Team to Develop OpenAI Rival
- Elon Musk is recruiting AI researchers and engineers to build his own version of ChatGPT
- Elon originally founded and funded (in part) OpenAI, but now has strong concerns about it.
- In recent months Musk has repeatedly criticized OpenAI for installing safeguards that prevent ChatGPT from producing text that might offend users.
- Musk suggests that OpenAI was an example of “training AI to be woke.”
- Musk has been recruiting Igor Babuschkin, a researcher who recently left Alphabet’s DeepMind AI unit
Musk’s move is notable because in 2015 he co-founded OpenAI as a nonprofit
to rival profit-minting AI tech powerhouses like Google.
Musk walked away from the startup in 2018.
Musk and others have criticized the models for reflecting the apparent biases of their developers.
In one case, for example, Musk earlier this month responded to a screenshot
of Microsoft’s chatbot refusing to tell a joke in the style of comedian Dave
Chapelle because “humor should be fun and inclusive, not hurtful and
Musk tweeted: “What we need is TruthGPT.”
The Information “Exclusive: Fighting ‘woke AI,’ Elon Musk is recruiting a team to make a rival to OpenAI’s ChatGPT.”
I’m very curious to know what you think about this. Click on the poll below and feel free to leave a comment on the next page. I will publish the results tomorrow. If you want to leave a comment, but don’t want it shared, just mention that it’s “private”.
Elon Musk + Politics + AI
What is your take on Elon Musk saying that ChatGPT and OpenAI are ‘training AI to be woke’?
- ELON IS RIGHT – AI should not be censored and it should not reflect the biases of it’s developers.
- ELON IS WRONG – The AI is not ‘woke’
- ELON IS WRONG – The developers SHOULD put safeguards in place to avoid “hateful language”
- OTHER – click this and then leave me a comment
- Snapchat is adding it’s own chatbot called “My AI”
- It’s powered by OpenAI’s ChatGPT
- The bot is stripped down so it won’t give offensive answers, help students cheat on homework or discuss politics.
- “The big idea is that in addition to talking to our friends and family every day, we’re going to talk to AI every day,” Snap CEO Evan Spiegel
- CEO says that they have big plans for using AI in the future.